Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thankful Thursday Continues...

Today I want to say thank you to Rev James L Barnes, Sr. It was under his leadership at the Providence Baptist Church Peterbsurg, Va (Prince George County) that I recommitted my life to Christ, joined the church and eventually was licensed to preach the gospel. In him I continued to be fascinated by the study of the Scriptures, his ability to recall Scriptures with ease n conversation and in sermons, his humility, humor and hospitality with me. The art of being kind to other ministers, especially those that were not pastoring or may have been struggling in life is a direct reflection of his impact on my life. He opened his home to me and allowed me for the first time in my life to see the life of the preacher/pastor outside of the church. I would go to his house and sit in his library and just read for hours.There were many days I did not have food to eat and he fed me and my family. Times my car broke down and he helped me get it fixed. Many of my first church suits came from his overflow as I could not afford to buy them trying to take care of a family on my one income. And although I had no problems buying them from the thrift store (still don't) apparently some church folks did! He taught me not only about the importance of tithing but the principles behind it. He sat down and taught me how to budget what little money I was making in those days and how to stretch it out.

He treated me not just like a son in the ministry but a true son. He was truly the first man in my life that I can say at the age of 24 I took on a role of a father figure for me.  Although our time together at Providence was short as I eventually took a job in North Carolina and he left the church about a year or so later, we remained very close. In this age of preachers disrespecting and disconnecting from those who were used by God to birth them into the Ministry in favor of those who have the bling and success that they want to have; I have never forgotten who it was that stood for me and with me.  Who went to the church on my behalf, who taught me how to rightly study the Scriptures, who nudged me in that first year of ministry of sermon prep but who never ever wrote the sermon for me. Who extended themselves to me when they did not have to do so. He helped me not to get something out of me, but because it was the right thing to do. As you have received, freely give. Thank you sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rawwwr

It is official. I am a dinosaur. The realization hit me when I was driving to pick my daughter up from her late-night shift. It was not the ...